Congratulations on your decision to get married. It is one of the most important decisions of your whole life. Your desire to marry in Church is your invitation to Christ to be at the heart of your relationship. The Christian community wishes you every blessing and happiness. You are  very welcome to have your marriage celebrated in the parish of St. Philip the Apostle, Mountview.

While you need only give three months’ notice of your intention to marry it is common practice for a couple to book the church a long time in advance. So, it is important to contact the Parish Office to make sure that the church is available on the day you require. You will also need to look at participating in a marriage preparation course which is a lovely way for you as a couple to take a look at your own relationship. The Civil Authorities also have state requirements which must be fulfilled.

We hope that this guide will be of assistance to you in your preparation for your wedding day. Although it may not cover all issues that can arise in some proposed marriages, it has been compiled as a general aid to help you prepare for your wedding in our parish. The Parish Office will be happy to answer any queries you may have. Our email address is:

A Prayer for an Engaged Couple

Thank you, Lord, for bringing us together and the gift
of our love which has already has brought us so much joy.
Grant that we may always continue to love each other
with reverence, patience and generosity.
In the hurried days of the final preparations,
grant us the calmness to reflect on the moment
when you will seal and sanctify our promises,
binding us together in your love forever.
In joy or sorrow, in richness or poverty,
in sickness and in health, may out love grow
all the day of our lives. Amen

Premarriage Courses

All couples intending to marry are expected to participate in a marriage course. The courses are prepared and presented by married couples and are a lovely way for you as a couple to take a look at your own relationship. This is time for yourselves, and time that will be really well spent.

For further information about Accord Pre-Marriage Courses in the Dublin area, please ring Accord Dublin at: Tel: 01 4784400 or book online at

You may also find the following links helpful or

State Requirements for Marriage

Meet a Civil Registrar at least three months before the wedding to give notice of your intention to marry. Make an appointment by calling or writing beforehand. You may notify any of the many Civil Registration Offices in the State.

For Dublin & Eastern areas the Address is: Civil Registration Services Eastern Area (Dublin, Wicklow & Kildare), Head Office, 8-14 Lombard Street, Dublin 2. Tel: (01) 8638200 or go to their website

When the couple have chosen the date, church and priest for their marriage (and confirmed these matters with the relevant priest or priests), they will then need to make an appointment to meet with any civil registrar in person to give notice of their intention to marry. This meeting with the registrar must take place at least three months before the wedding in order to comply with the civil requirement. The couple will be required to bring the following documentation to the registrar’s office:

  1. photo identity, e.g. original passports (both parties) plus photocopies of same.
  2. Utility bill for both parties, plus photocopies of same (as proof of address
  3. Names and dates of birth of both witnesses.
  4. Name of the Church in which you will marry.
  5. Name of the priest (the ”solemniser”) who will officiate.
  6. PPS Number (both parties)
  7. The Prescribed Fee

Please Note:  If the priest (solemniser) who is to officiate at your wedding is a visiting priest from outside the Republic of Ireland, make sure he is a Registered Solemniser in the Republic, otherwise, he may not be able to officiate at the ceremony. If in doubt, consult your local priest, or visit their website: (General Register Office) which contains lots of useful information and the list of registered solemnisers.

When all the civil requirements have been completed satisfactorily, you will receive a Marriage Registration Form (MRF) from the registrar. It is essential to remember that without presenting this form before your wedding to the priest (solemniser), he is not legally permitted to perform the ceremony and the wedding will not take place.

You are also required to make a verbal declaration of No Civil impediment not more than two days beforehand.

After the ceremony, it is the couple’s responsibility to return the signed Marriage Registration Form (MRF) to the Civil Registrar’s Office within one month of the date of the wedding.

In order to summarise the above legal requirements for valid civil registration of marriage, please study the following check-list of what the couple must do:

  1. Meet one of the local parish clergy
  2. Book the church where you wish to marry
  3. Meet a civil registrar at least three months before the wedding to give notice of your intention to marry
  4. Receive the Marriage Registration Form (MRF) from the civil registrar
  5. Bring the MRF to the solemniser
  6. Make the verbal declaration of no civil impediment in the presence of each other and before the solemniser and the two witnesses at the beginning of the wedding ceremony (or not more than two days beforehand)
  7. Return the signed MRF to any civil registrar not later than one month after the wedding
  8. If you have any further queries regarding your Church Ceremony, please contact the Secretary at the  Parish Office on (01) 8249695 

Church Requirements – Pre – Marriage Papers

Every couple marrying in the Catholic Church is required to give a minimum of three months’ notice to their priest. (i.e., the Bride to her priest and the Groom to his priest). The following documents are required:


A Baptismal Certificate, from the Church where you where baptised, issued within six months of date of the wedding.

A Confirmation Certificate from the parish where you were confirmed.

If you have lived in any parish, other than your current one, for six months or more since you reached the age of 18, you will need to get a Letter of Freedom from these parishes also.

A certificate of completion of a recognised Pre-Marriage Course. Give these documents to the priest of your parish and fill out the Prenuptial Enquiry Form with him.


A Baptismal Certificate, from the Church where you where baptised, issued within six months of date of the wedding.

A Confirmation Certificate from the parish where you were confirmed.

If you have lived in any parish, other than your current one, for six months or more since you reached the age of 18, you will need to get a Letter of Freedom from these parishes also.

You then give these documents to the priest of your current parish and he will fill out the Prenuptial Enquiry Form with you. When completed, he will send all documents to the priest f your fiancé’s parish.

Couples living Abroad

In the case of couples living abroad, the priest in the parish of your residence will complete your Prenuptial Enquiry Form and will forward it to the local bishop who in turn will send it to the bishop’s office here in Dublin. Address: Chancellery, Diocesan Offices, Archbishop’s house, Dublin 9, Ireland

Inter Church or Inter Faith Marriages

When a Catholic wishes to marry a Christian of another denomination, or a person of another faith or none, he/she must ask for a Dispensation from his/her local bishop. Your priest can facilitate this process.

Pre-Marriage Courses

Marriage is for life. If you are going into something which you want to last for life, a time of reflection and preparation is time well spent. This is why you are required to take part in a Pre-Marriage Course. As there are so many seeking places on these courses, it is necessary to book six to nine months in advance. Here in Dublin, pre-marriage courses are provided by ACCORD. Details of all ACCORD centres in the country, and the courses they offer, can be found at

Wedding Rehearsal

It is usual to have a short rehearsal a day or two before the day of your wedding. This is something you should discuss with the priest (solemniser). The rehearsal, as well as finalising details of the ceremony, allows the priest the opportunity of meeting the other members of the bridal party etc. Please consult the parish about the time of the rehearsal to ensure that the church is available and open.

The Wedding Mass

The priest celebrating your Wedding Mass will help you choose readings, prayers and The Rite of Marriage. It is good to involve others in the ceremony, e.g. readings, prayers, etc.

Flowers – Candles – Confetti

Flowers are used for their beauty and the promise of abundant life. They should be tastefully arranged and not obscure the Altar or the Ambo (Where Scripture Readings are read from.


If you are engaging a photographer or video technician, please ask that they do their work quietly and with minimum distraction. Make sure that they consult beforehand with the priest that is celebrating the wedding. Please bear in mind that it is a religious ceremony and due reverence should be observed in the church by all.


The music you choose for your wedding ceremony should be in keeping with the sacred character of the occasion. It is the responsibility of the couple to provide their own musicians, etc. Where at all possible, hymns that the congregation (your guests) can join in are recommended. Non-Sacred songs (e.g. your favourite love songs) should not be used during the religious ceremony. Such favourite songs could be used at the wedding reception.

Signing the Marriage Registration Form

The register to be signed is the civil register and is not part of the Church Ceremony. For that reason, we recommend that it be signed after the church ceremony has ended. Please remember that the signed Marriage Registration Form (MRF) will be handed to you after the ceremony and it is your responsibility to forward this to the Registrar of Marriages within one month of the wedding day.

Offerings and Gratuities

Every effort is made to have all our churches in perfect condition for all Sacraments. This involves not just the ongoing general upkeep and maintenance of our church buildings, but it also involves heating and lighting as well as insurance for all the parishioners, visitors and guests.

1. It is customary to make an offering to the parish in appreciation of and to defray the cost of the facilities provided.
2. It is customary to give a donation to those who helped during the whole process.
3. It is customary to give and offering to the priest (solemniser) conducting the ceremony.

Finally, may we wish you both a well-deserved holiday/honeymoon after all these hectic preparations for what we know will be a fantastic Wedding Day.
We also wish you God’s blessing and joy for what we trust will be a very long and happy married life together.


Wherever you live, your life as a Christian married couple is important to the community of the parish, and to the future of the Church. Remember that the love you bring to each other, and to those around you, needs to be nourished through your own closeness to Christ. Each time you participate in the Mass, you will not only celebrate the self-giving love of Christ, but you will be reminded of your own gift to each other, and you will hear his Word, calling you always to new ways of living that love.

“Marriage is like building a house. You would not wish to build it on the shifting sands of emotions, but on the rock of true love, the love that comes from God. “Pope Francis (Meeting with Engaged Couples at the Vatican, St. Valentine’s Day 2014)